Volunteer as a tutor for a day and support disadvantaged school pupils prepare for their exams.
Help them to tackle the topics they’re finding challenging at a crucial point ahead of their exams. Ensure they are able to start secondary school or succeed at GCSE level on the same footing as their peers.
Tutor English or maths, with training provided and no previous experience required.
Register your interest to participate in our 2019-20 days by emailing: [email protected]
How does it work?
- You will volunteer with a group of 8-10 other tutors (these could be your colleagues, family or friends) to provide small group tuition to 20 pupils, on a specific date close to their SATs or GCSE exams.
- You will be working with the same pupils over the course of the day, building a good rapport and connection.
- All volunteers will use a bespoke set of sample exam papers to help pupils hone exam technique, as well as supporting resources that can be used as targeted practice for specific skills – no previous tutoring experience is required. Some of these will be Action Tutoring’s own resources and on the primary school days we will also be using materials created by HeadStart Primary. These materials have been generously provided by HeadStart free of charge to support our pupils and are protected by copyright, so please be aware that they cannot be used outside of Action Tutoring sessions.
- A member of the Action Tutoring team will be present for the whole day to support you.
Tutoring is a great privilege for children like me to encounter and it helps, so thank you.Primary school pupil, London
What subjects can I support on?
- There will be opportunities to support with either maths or English.
Why get involved?
- An extremely rewarding way to use your yearly volunteering allowance.
- A great way to help tackle education inequality in your community or the community of your workplace. We want to ensure all young people receive the support they need to succeed, regardless of their background or circumstances.
- An opportunity to use your skills and experience to make a difference.
- A chance to volunteer as a team or department. Revision days are a perfect group volunteering opportunity.
I think it’s a great initiative and I really do feel that it helped the pupils. It was also great to spend the day in a school instead of an office!Toby, revision day tutor, PwC
What dates are available?
Our revision days generally take place in the spring (mid-March to mid-May) and we will confirm the dates for 2020 in the new year.
How do I get involved?
When the dates have been confirmed, we will share a link to our short online application form for you to complete. Following that, we will invite you to attend a short one-hour training session at our offices or at another convenient location.
If you’re interested in reserving a day for your whole team (8-10 volunteers) in 2020, simply email [email protected].
After applying you will attend a short training session where we will process a DBS check on your behalf and provide any extra support you need prior supporting on the revision day.